I have exactly 20 minutes to get my post up! I’m on a time schedule. I’m trying to stay on a planned schedule, but it’s not going so well this week. Everything was planned, the gym, blog posts, the menu. Then the ol’ man’s mom had to have unexpected open heart surgery yesterday. Poor thing ended up with a quadruple bypass. She’s off the ventilator and awake; which is fantastical for just 24 hours after surgery. Ironically, 16 years ago today, my dad died, essentially after the same surgery. It kinda sucked being in the same hospital, the same unit, the same everything. The good thing, if there is a good thing, is that I was able to give the ol’ man some insight as to what will happen. Like when we saw her right after surgery, she had a little bit of color. I thought she looked good! You know, good for someone who just had their chest cracked open. My dad looked gray and dead. The smart ass he is, said “We are Italian, of course she has color!” Point made lol.
Needless to say, I needed easy this week. Nothing easier than the slow cooker, and since I neglected slow cooker Sunday for you, I’m giving it to you now. Easter is coming, and you undoubtedly will have leftover ham. This Pillsbury recipe is perfect! As always, I changed it a little. On the kid scale, 2 out of 3 liked it. I will give you a penny if you can figure out which one didn’t like it!
Cheesy Ham Au Gratin
- 3C Milk
- 1 Can condensed Cheddar cheese soup (10 3/4oz can)
- 2- 5 oz pkgs cheesy scalloped potatoes, with skin on potatoes (I didn’t used the skin on)
- 2 C Cooked diced ham
- 2 Cans Whole kernel corn, with Red and green peppers, drained (I used a frozen bag of corn and peppers)
- 2 C boiling water
- Cheddar cheese (optional)
- Spray slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine milk, soup, and contents of seasoning packets from potatoes; blend well. Add potatoes, ham and corn; mix well. Pour mixture into sprayed slow cooker. Pour boiling water over potato mixture; stir to mix.
- Cover; cook on low setting for 7 to 8 hours.
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
It’s Sunday again! Where did the week go? What happened to “It’s Five O’clock Somewhere” Thursday? It was lost in Autumn’s Social Studies project. She had to pick a Native American artifact to recreate and give a presentation about it. She made a dream catcher. Autumn has always had one over her bed to help with her bad dreams, so we used that as a guide. Easy enough right? Right? Um. No. Until this little project, I’ve never really looked at them before. I’m totally impressed with the intricacies of the middle. It was harder than we thought it was going to be!
This weekend, she waited to the last minute to do her book report that’s due tomorrow. Somehow this became my fault. WTF? Um…no. You made choices, and some of those choices were not to read. If the report is not complete by 9:00pm, that’s too bad. Sorry kid, you’re going to have to wing it tomorrow. Meanest. Mother. Ever. Yes indeed. Procrastination will just cause you an ulcer. Better she learn that now than in college. Although, sometimes I work better under pressure. I would NEVER tell her that.
How about a little comfort food? I’m going to post a few appetizer recipes throughout the week in preparation for the big game. But tonight, I’m giving in to a billion calories and a recipe will likely clog your arteries. Sometimes, you just need that, ya know? You could actually use this Mac and Cheese for the big game! It serves a lot and who the hell would turn down mac and cheese? You know what would be really good? OOOOOOO…making little sliders and putting a spoonful of this Mac and Cheese on it. Dip in ketchup! Cheeseburger sliders!! Perfect for a party!! Carbohydrate suicide, but great for those who don’t care about carbs! Damn, I wish I had thought of that before I started this post!
Ok…focus. This recipe has been floating around the internet in various forms. I like it because it’s for the slow cooker. SLOW COOKER SUNDAY!!!!! It’s easy and if your kids don’t like this, then there may be something wrong with them. I’m kidding of course! (But seriously, consider taking them to the doctor.)
Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese
- 16 oz Macaroni, cooked and drained
- 16 oz Monterey Jack cheese, cubed
- 16 oz Colby Jack cheese, cubed
- 16 oz Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1 Stick butter, cut into sliced
- 16 oz Milk
- Salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste
- Spray slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Layer 1/3 of the macaroni in bottom.
- Layer 1/2 of the cheese, butter, salt, pepper and garlic powder
- Repeat #3 with the last 1/3 of the macaroni on top. Pour milk over macaroni and cheese.
- Cook on low for about 4 hours and stir around 2 hours.
Not going to lie here, I put all of the macaroni down first. Then all the cubed cheese, and then the milk. At the halfway point, I stirred as directed. And then added the salt, pepper and garlic powder. I also cooked it on high for 2 hours. I did not read the directions. Luckily for me, it turned out great. OH! And I halved the recipe. It still made a lot!