Wow. Has it been 2 months since I’ve been on this thing? Seriously, where does the time go? Somehow I’ve missed the whole month of August. We’ve made it through summer school, the 2015 soccer season and camp. We had a death of a puppy, then we acquired 2 more puppies. Now it’s already autumn. And who doesn’t love Autumn?
I’ve never had puppies. Ever. Dogs really aren’t my thing. But the kids were super sad about the passing of Tinkerbell. We went to the pound and we looked. We found a little one named Diva. I wasn’t opposed to Diva, but she was adopted before we got the chance to. For the record, the idea of brand new, fresh out-of-the-womb-puppies wasn’t even run by me. These puppies that we have are little, and not trained. They are like babies. They whine, and cry and shit every where. The kids will take care of them he said. The kids. The same ones who simply can’t put their dishes in the dishwasher are going to train and take care of the puppies? Diva was trained, just saying. These puppies, albeit very cute, are a pain in the ass. I’m going to leave it at that.
Kids are back at school! Who else is doing a little dance? I love the start of school. It’s like New Year’s Day. Everything is fresh and new. This year we have a senior, a junior and a 5th grader. Already Ms. Autumn in the 5th grade, with the attitude of the senior. Seems like yesterday she was just starting kindergarten. Who am I kidding? It seems like she was just a baby! The school gives the 5th graders an iPad this year. Who on this planet thinks it’s a good idea to give her an iPad? She’s cute, and smart; but she is as clumsy as clumsy can get. Why? Why do they do this? And yes, I took out the insurance. And yes, I’ve already started saving for the deductible.
It’s fall. I’m so excited for football, and Halloween, and falling leaves and crisp mornings. Don’t forget pumpkin. Pumpkin every-freaking-thing. But I’m not quite done with summer. A co-worker of mine put this recipe in my inbox. I think I’ve made it a half dozen times since. I added corn once to it even. It’s a nice light, fresh side dish. So delicious! And I know you still have a zucchini or two lying around.
- 1 1/2 lbs Zucchini, grated
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 C All purpose flour
- 1/4 C Parmesan, grated
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Large Egg, beaten
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Place grated zucchini in a colander over the sink. Add salt and gently toss to combine; let sit for at least 10 minutes. Using a clean dish towel or cheese cloth; drain completely. I mean, really make sure it’s dried completely.
- In a large bowl, combine zucchini, flour, Parmesan, garlic, and egg; season with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Scoop tablespoons of batter for each fritter, flattening with a spatula. Cook until the underside is nicely golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook the other side, 1-2 minutes longer.
- Serve immediately