The spices of life!

As the marriage counselor pointed out, several times in fact, I’m an avoider.  When I don’t like something or if it upsets me, I avoid it.  I treat my food no differently. Spicy foods?  Love the taste! My body hates it.  I usually don’t even get to the next day before I’m dropping f-bombs at my stomach and all parts south of that.

The ol’ man and the kids like it.  But since I’m the cook, and of course, the meanest mom ever, I don’t make it.  I like to eat to dammit, and I’m not cooking what I can’t eat!  The good thing about spicy foods, is that you can usually make a “not hot” version. Seriously, I can get my “not hot” Sesame Chicken in the same 10 minutes as the spicy C27!  It’s not like cookies where you can make a non-sweet version..and why would you honestly? Apples and oranges, really.  Nevermind…

I have no spicy recipes in my arsenal of recipes.  My sister on the other hand, makes a killer spicy salsa!  Against my screaming tummy protests, I eat it.  It will set your ass on fire and clear out the sinuses.  But it’s that delicious it’s worth it!

Karen’s “set your ass on fire” Salsa (A canning recipe)

• 3C                  Chopped, seeded, peeled and cored tomatoes
  • 3C                  Jalapeno peppers, chopped
  • 1C                  Chopped onion
  • 6 Cloves      Garlic, minced
  • 2Tbsp           Cilantro, minced
  • 2tsp               Oregano
  • 1.5 tsp          Salt
  • 1/2 tsp         Cumin
  • 1C                   Cider vinegar
  1. Combine all ingredients in a large saucepot.  Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Ladle salsa into hot jars, leaving 1/2″ headspace.  Adjust 2-piece caps.  Process for 15 minutes in a boiling water canner.
  2. For a “less” spicy version, leave out the jalapeno seeds.  And always wear rubber gloves when seeding or chopping jalapeno peppers.  It will save you a trip to Urgent care.
  3. Serve with homemade tortilla chips.  You don’t have that recipe you say?  I do…will post that later!

salsa

9 thoughts on “The spices of life!

1. MaiVang May 1, 2014 / 1:59 am

I love spice. Totally going to try this! What does process in 15 minutes in a water canner mean? I’ve never canned anything in my life before. But I really want to try this one!

• autumnsmom14 May 1, 2014 / 2:15 am

Canning is fun! It takes a little bit of patience for some recipes, but I love it. If you have never canned before, I would research a little research before attempting. 🙂 oooo maybe I will do a tutorial on canning in my blog!! Squirrel! Back to water canning question..
      Pretty much you put your jars in a large pot of boiling water with the water level a few inches above the jars. Let the jars boil for 15 minutes. It seals the lids on to the glass jars.
      Ball makes a great book “Blue Book Guide to Preserving” Very very helpful!

2. Karuna May 1, 2014 / 3:57 am

I really enjoyed your post. You make it so entertaining! And I’m tempted to make the salsa besides……..

• autumnsmom14 May 2, 2014 / 1:12 am

Thank you! I have the salsa, I will make the chips, and guacamole. Party at my house, everyone’s invited!

3. Suzanne S. May 1, 2014 / 6:58 am

I so want to try this. I love salsa recipes. And Cinco de Mayo weekend is here so it seems like everything is aligning for this to happen this weekend. Yesssss!

• Suzanne S. May 2, 2014 / 2:44 am

Margaritas and homemade salsa sound like a good weekend.

• autumnsmom14 May 2, 2014 / 1:22 am

@Susanne S. I was on your blog, and it’s great! Except I can’t find the follow button!!

• Suzanne S. May 2, 2014 / 2:43 am

I’m not sure that you can follow the normal way because I have a wordpress.org site. I don’t show up in the reader either. I think fellow bloggers are following me through the RSS feed though.