Sundresses and sandals and margaritas…sundresses and sandals and margaritas…say it with me!!
In my mind, February is supposed to be the “Hump Day” of the winter months. By the time we reach March, we are supposed to be on the upswing of the frigid cold and snow. This morning, I awoke to -11*F. -11. COME ON!! Where’s the slightly warmer weather? Can we get above freezing? Please? (imagine very cute puppy dog eyes) On the bright side, the sun was out all day today 🙂 That puts everyone in a better mood. Soon, sundresses and sandals! I don’t need no stinkin’ summer for a margarita!! I’ll have one right now, in fact!
Ok. I lied. I cannot possibly have one now as there are serious adverse reactions with cold medicine. Dang it.
Until we thaw out from this very long winter, there’s only one thing to keep on doing: comfort food! This past weekend I made chili (a healthier comfort food!). It’s not a spicy chili. I know a lot of people like the spice, so add to your taste! I’ve dubbed it kid-friendly chili. The 9 yo gives it her approval, it has to be good!
Kid Approved Chili
- 1lb Lean ground beef or ground turkey, browned and drained
- 1 Can Kidney beans (15oz) rinsed and drained
- 1 Can Black Beans (15oz) rinsed and drained
- 1 Can Fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 C Salsa
- 1 C Frozen corn
- 1/2 C Minced onion
- 1 tsp Chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 Can Tomato puree (20 oz)
- 1/2 C Greek yogurt (plain)
- 1C Shredded cheddar cheese
1. Spray the inside of the crock pot with non-stick spray. Combine all of the ingredients in the slow cooker, except yogurt and cheese. Mix well.
2. Cover; cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 2-3 hours.
3. Ladle into bowls, top with Greek yogurt and cheese if desired.
Adult version: Serve with a margarita.