Every year my daughter and I have a Super Bowl party. It’s a tradition that we have had since my divorce. It’s just her and I, a ton of food and the big game. We pick the team we want to win. I buy decorations in their colors. And then we plan a menu. This very intense process takes just about 2 weeks. I want to keep it healthy. She likes junk, “cause it’s a party you know, Mom!” So there’s a lot of recipe sifting and compromise. I like to try new a new recipe each year. We always repeat the good recipe from the year before.
After an entire afternoon of cooking, baking and decorating, this is how it turned out.
This year’s menu:
Hawaiian Kielbasa, White Pizza Dip (with crackers and homemade tortillas), popcorn, cupcakes, and cherry cheesecake shooters with Punch. (virgin, naturally, although a little vodka would have been delicious with it)! The ol’ man took Oreo Balls to the party he went to.
The game was lacking, as were the commercials. Hands down, best commercial was H&M with David “freaking hot” Beckham. The food rocked, and my company was fantastical, totally making up for the lack of screen entertainment!
White Pizza Dip
- 1pkg Herb and garlic soup mix
- 16oz Sour Cream (I used light)
- 1C Ricotta cheese
- 2C Mozzarella Cheese
- Pepperoni, as many slices as you like
- Crackers (we used Triscuits, Ritz and homemade tortilla chips)
1. Preheat oven to 350*F.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, combine soup mix, sour cream, ricotta cheese, 1 Cup mozzarella cheese and pepperoni. Transfer to a 1-quart casserole dish. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and pepperoni slices.
3. Bake at 350*F, uncovered for 30 minutes.
- 3lbs Turkey Kielbasa, cut into 2″ chunks
- 1-15 oz can Crushed Pineapple
- 1-18oz Bottle your favorite BBQ sauce ( We like Sweet Baby Rays)
- 1/2 C Brown Sugar, packed
- 1Tbsp Ground ginger
- 1tsp Onion Powder
- 1tsp Garlic Powder
Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker. Mix well. Cover and cook on low for 2 hours or on high for 30 minutes.
Cherry Cheesecake Shooters (original recipe by my hero Ree Drummond, slightly altered by me)
- 12 Whole graham crackers, crushed
- 2-8oz pkg Cream cheese
- 1 Can Sweetened condensed milk
- 1 Can Cherry pie filling
- Chocolate chips (Ree’s recipe calls for slivered almonds)
1. Spoon graham cracker crumbs into the bottom of mini wine glasses. (we used small appetizer cups).
2. Beat cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk until fluffy.
3. Fill pastry bag with filling. Pipe filling over graham cracker crumbs. Top filling with a spoonful of cherry pie filling.
4. Top with chocolate chips.
Oreo Cookie Balls
- 1-8oz pkg Cream Cheese
- 36 Oreo Cookies, finely crushed (I used the food processor)
- 1 .5 bags chocolate chips, melted
1.Mix cream cheese and cookie crumbs until blended.
2. Roll into 48 (1 inch) balls. Freeze 10 min.
3. Dip balls in melted chocolate, place on waxed paper-lined pan.
4. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.